Tuesday 27 November 2007

Poem - Working in a Garage

Working in a garage

They had had a hard coming of it, naturally
ripening amongst the unlovely statistics so
that one by one they entered bearing
a bar, a gun, a warm tongue

They came straight in, talking about it
ever since they could talk perhaps so that
it was practised by now and ever since they
could hold on to it and not profit
from any other way. Or not enough

so that when it becomes my turn
they loped in looking wrong.
The sound of the shop door, the metal stretch
of a backed-up hinge too far too quick.

A bar, a gun, a man's tongue.
A queue. A fan of heads. At the counter
The bar held out. Pointing
at me, at the till. At me,
'The cash', he said, 'now.'


James Bullion. March 2011 Draft 4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your blog. You have some really great articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely
love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a
link back to mine. Please blast me an e-mail
if interested. Cheers!

Have a look at my site :: myfreecams