Saturday 22 December 2007

Poem - When it was early

When it was early

At some time it was this:
Who could you not be?
What need had I for others?
Even when I washed up angry,
the dishes clattered your name.

The problem is,
(Yes you knew this was coming),
you fill up the space too much.
Me, I come into a room,
but you, you pour in.

Do you remember when it was early?
When it was uncomfortable to be naked?
When we whispered,
lying back, folded in.

I stroked your hair then didn’t I?
Then you covered me,
your long hair falling to my face.
And your quiet mouth open.

Now we have grown.
And your new interests;
sequins, sex, Sondheim and psychotherapy.
Pity the sex is not with me.

Listen while I say this.
I have been building to this.
You know those feelings,
that you need to talk about, that
you say you need to talk about?

why don’t you just bottle them up.



 - Sketched 2001, Revised Jan 2004

No comments: