Thursday 28 March 2013

Poem - Friend


Friend
To conclude I think this;

He is caught and guards himself
until he escapes into the dark,
grabbing his keys from the table.

But everywhere you go you hear memory.
So he flees but cannot go far
so he writes a note. To me I’m afraid.

The note from him contains a CD made for me
which I puzzle in my pocket on the way to work.
Driving late and fast I fizz it in. I overtake and listen.

Is that The Only Cowboy in Sweden –
singing about the rain?
Slowing, I remember to love him. Because I can.

They washed Roman soldiers outside the cities
when they came back bloodied and dirty from war.
They bathed them. Not their wives. Low women.
On behalf of the people. Before dawn.

What did Diocletian say to his crowd of men?
The waited, newly home, for the born sun to dry their skin.
I looked it up. It is this. ‘Now you have completed the unforgivable
for me, forgive yourselves. Do not wait for the enemy’s wounds to heal’.

I have left four messages for him. On the same lines.

James Bullion 28th March 2013


No comments: