Sunday 10 March 2013

Poem - Pulse of a Stone



Pulse of a stone

We took our home with us those weeks, packing up and moving on each few days, the children falling from their beds if we were not careful and tied them down. I drove like crazy through our old south coast haunts.

So I thought I had something to say about all this; the trip, returning to bury your grandmother, the state of our marriage, myself as a boy, details of the Tracey Emin show (though of the latter I tell people that I do).

The children collected fossils, prised them out. When we had agreed to give them small knives I cannot recollect. The care they must have taken. Ammonites they found. I do not recall walking away, and cannot understand how I wandered so far.

I saw a stone in the toss and turn of a shallow pool. It spun and pulsed, red then grey, held in place by forces. I wondered about them, gravity, friction, energy, (what are they?) The sea leaving returned in the act of going. My feet steadily sinking.


James Bullion March 2013

No comments: